Hi! I’m Kate,
and I am a Physician Assistant and Certified Specialist in Obesity and Weight Management.
For most of my life…
I grew up eating “fat free,” “sugar free,” and “diet” EVERYTHING. I thought whole wheat and whole grain marketing claims meant the food I was eating was healthy. I’d choose frozen yogurt and 94% fat free microwavable popcorn as late night snacks because I thought it was healthier than indulging in the full fat versions.
I was wrong.
When it came to exercising, I thought that running on the treadmill was the only way to stay healthy. Lifting weights meant looking bulky. And yoga, stretching, or flexibility? If I wasn’t sweating, it wasn’t helping.
I was wrong.
I never took the time to PAUSE and THINK about what I was eating, where my food came from, or how that food or beverage was making me feel.
It took my sister being diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 28 (with no genetic nor family history), her undergoing preventive double mastectomies and incurring 5 years of hormone induced menopause for me to take a SERIOUS look at how environmental factors can contribute to our health. Basically, to really get serious about what I was eating and what I was drinking.
I became obsessed with cleaning out my diet.
- I cut out all processed and artificial foods
- If I couldn’t read or understand the ingredients on the nutrition label, I didn’t eat or drink it
- If there were more than 10 ingredients on the label, I put it back on the shelf
- I shopped the perimeter of the grocery store and avoided the center aisles
- I stopped drinking beverages with artificial sweeteners
- I cut out ALL added sugar and only consumed sugar in its most wholesome state
- I prioritized organic, pasture-raised, and non-GMO foods whenever I could afford to
And you know what?
I lost weight, felt AMAZING, thought more clearly, had improved memory, slept more soundly, had more energy during my workouts, and improved my stamina at work.
I then became obsessed with helping others achieve similar results.
This became extremely challenging as a PA working in surgery- especially with my Bariatric (weight-loss surgery) patients.
The hypocrisy was hard to ignore. As I would discuss how to make diet modifications with my surgical patients toward eating clean, minimally processed foods, room service would then arrive with my patient’s tray full of diet soda, sugar-free jello, white bread, and fat-free pudding.
No wonder my patients were confused!
Our health care system isn’t designed to teach you how to live a healthy life and to achieve your long-term health goals. This takes time. Unfortunately, scheduling a 60 minute appointment with your provider at the clinic to discuss clean eating, regular movement, and mindfulness is rare.
Because clinics and hospitals are businesses after all. More patients = more $$, which = short appointment slots.
As a PA Health Coach…
I am passionate about TEACHING my patients HOW to eat clean and minimally processed foods in a way that works for THEM.
I’m patient and an active listener. I want my patients to know that they are feeling heard and that they have enough time to have all of their questions thoroughly answered.
I push my patients to problem-solve their own solutions.
I keep my patients accountable with their progress but also keep things light and fun!
I emphasize healthy habit creation and behavior changes that LASTS A LIFETIME. No “quick fixes” here.
I work TOGETHER with my patients to find a solution that is specific to their lifestyle and personal circumstances.
I also encourage them to join a support community to keep their momentum going.
If you’ve been struggling with weight regain, weight plateaus, or weight-loss surgery, I can help!
If you’d like coaching, send an “I’m curious!” email to: PAhealthcoaches@gmail.com
(PA-C, MMS, CSOWM)
- Physician Assistant Certified (PA-C) through NCCPA
- Wake Forest School of Medicine, NC
- Post Graduate Surgical Residency Certification
- Norwalk / Yale New Haven Health, CT
- 6+ years of surgical experience with specialized training in Bariatric surgery (“weight loss surgery”)
- Surgical expertise in: Trauma / Acute Care / General, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Orthopedic, ENT, Vascular, Colorectal, Genitourinary, Gynecologic, Neurologic, Oral Maxillofacial, Pediatric, and Thoracic
- American Society in Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Member (ASMBS)
- Certified Specialist in Obesity and Weight Management (CSOWM)
- Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)
- Leader in Obesity Medicine
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
Join fellow Healthy Habiteers on Facebook
Learn more about my 12 Week Weight Management Program: HERE.
Get started with a one week FREE trial HERE.