Hi! I’m Kate,
and I am a Physician Assistant and Certified Specialist in Obesity and Weight Management.
For most of my life…
I grew up eating “fat free,” “sugar free,” and “diet” EVERYTHING. I thought whole wheat and whole grain marketing claims meant the food I was eating was healthy. I’d choose frozen yogurt and 94% fat free microwavable popcorn as late night snacks because I thought it was healthier than indulging in the full fat versions.
I was wrong.
When it came to exercising, I thought that running on the treadmill was the only way to stay healthy. Lifting weights meant looking bulky. And yoga, stretching, or flexibility? If I wasn’t sweating, it wasn’t helping.
I was wrong.
I never took the time to PAUSE and THINK about what I was eating, where my food came from, or how that food or beverage was making me feel.
It took my sister being diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 28 (with no genetic nor family history), her undergoing preventive double mastectomies and incurring 5 years of hormone induced menopause for me to take a SERIOUS look at how environmental factors can contribute to our health. Basically, to really get serious about what I was eating and what I was drinking.
I became obsessed with cleaning out my diet.
- I cut out all processed and artificial foods
- If I couldn’t read or understand the ingredients on the nutrition label, I didn’t eat or drink it
- If there were more than 10 ingredients on the label, I put it back on the shelf
- I shopped the perimeter of the grocery store and avoided the center aisles
- I stopped drinking beverages with artificial sweeteners
- I cut out ALL added sugar and only consumed sugar in its most wholesome state
- I prioritized organic, pasture-raised, and non-GMO foods whenever I could afford to
And you know what?
I lost weight, felt AMAZING, thought more clearly, had improved memory, slept more soundly, had more energy during my workouts, and improved my stamina at work.
I then became obsessed with helping others achieve similar results.
This became extremely challenging as a PA working in surgery- especially with my Bariatric (weight-loss surgery) patients.
The hypocrisy was hard to ignore. As I would discuss how to make diet modifications with my surgical patients toward eating clean, minimally processed foods, room service would then arrive with my patient’s tray full of diet soda, sugar-free jello, white bread, and fat-free pudding.
No wonder my patients were confused!
Our health care system isn’t structured in a way to support extensive patient education, counseling, and preventive medicine. Don’t get me wrong…as providers, we want to do these things! But our hands are tied.
In clinic, patient volumes are typically high (if not back-logged). As more patients need to be seen, the patient appointment times become shorter and shorter. It can be extremely challenging helping our patients achieve their longterm health goals when appointment slots are as short as 15 minutes!
As A Surgical Physician Assistant and Certified Specialist in Obesity & Weight Management…
…I help educate, engage, and motivate my patients to take back control of their lifelong health goals.
With my 12 Week Weight Management Program founded in evidence-based research, I teach my patients how to prioritize clean and minimally processed foods, avoid sedentary behavior, and emphasize mindfulness.
With consistent and dedicated work to the core principles of the Program, I have watched my patients accomplish chronic disease remission, improve symptoms of full-body inflammation, wean off long-term (and expensive!) medications, and lose stubborn excess body weight.
Seeing my patients truly feeling better and actually believing in their own capacity to take back control of their health drives me to get up in the morning and do everything I can to help facilitate and serve their individual health goals.
- If YOU are desperate to lose weight (especially after weight-loss surgery), I can help! Check out the 12 Week Weight Management Program to learn more!
- If you are a Bariatric Surgeon, or part of a Bariatric Team, I encourage you to consider my Bariatric Weight Management Program as an adjunct resource to your current practice.
Hear What Patients Have To Say:
(PA-C, MMS, CSOWM)
- Physician Assistant Certified (PA-C) through NCCPA
- Wake Forest School of Medicine, NC
- Post Graduate Surgical Residency Certification
- Norwalk / Yale New Haven Health, CT
- 8+ years of surgical experience with specialized training in Bariatric surgery (“weight loss surgery”)
- Additional surgical expertise in: Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Trauma / Acute Care / General, Orthopedic, ENT, Vascular, Colorectal, Genitourinary, Gynecologic, Neurologic, Oral Maxillofacial, Pediatric, and Thoracic
- American Society in Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Member (ASMBS)
- Certified Specialist in Obesity and Weight Management (CSOWM)
- Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) member
- Leader in Obesity Medicine
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
Need help with Nutrition: Jump into my FREE Nutrition 101 Course
Click here to get started with a FREE Crash Course of the Weight Loss Program!